Thursday, January 13, 2011

The joys of potty training (or lack there of)

Ok so you would think my third time at this, it would be a piece of cake, but um NO! Apparently my child has other plans for me. Yes he is younger than my other two were, Ben was just under 3, and Olivia was 2 1/2... Jacoby is ranking in at 27 months right now. HOWEVER he has been in cloth since he was 3 months old (and they say cloth babies train earlier?) and he has been TOTALLY acting ready, and wanting to do it.

So we started about a week and a half ago... stripped naked, with a potty in each bathroom. I printed out the dora potty chart, and bought M&m's. 3 m&ms for each pee, and picking from the infamous "poop bucket" when you poop. YES the bucket has had that name since Ben potty trained, and its just our candy bucket... after halloween the kids ask if they can have a candy from the "poop bucket" LMAO! Thats just what its called lol!

Anyways... things were off to a great start, we went and picked out undies, and every pee was getting put in the potty... poops were a bit more rough. The first day he went in on his own and did it, no prodding etc. The 2 following days they were in training pants either while we were out, or at nap... then the day after that they were in a heaping mound on my floor after he sat on the potty for 20 mins telling me he didnt need to poop.

The day after was the same thing... up from nap he had a tiny poop in his trainer, so I put him on the potty to get his big poop out, and he sat there for an hour and a half not pooping. Thankfully he didnt get off the potty and immediately poop on the floor that day, it took an hour to get the heaping mound on the floor. *sigh*

So fast forward a few days, and a few poops on the potty and a few on the floor, ALL the pee's were going in the potty till 2 days ago when I decided to try undies... Now mind you, with my oldest he was naked for maybe 3-4 days before I was able to put undies on him, so far at this point Jacoby had been a week in.
Anyways... He peed in his undies every time I put them on in, even flooding the high chair like a waterfall after dinner that night... so I was quite mad and yelled and spanked him.

SO... the next day, he was naked again and PEED AND POOPED all over the house all day long! Obviously I did a BIG uh oh by yelling and spanking him!!! But seriously? peeing and pooping all over the house is NOT ok, and he thinks its funny... he pees and says "LOOK at all that pee" and then laughs. Or after he poops its "look at that big poop". Yesterday he even stepped on his poop and tracked it around the floor a bit. I spent SO much time cleaning the floor yesterday. So by last night I was quite frustrated and as I was making dinner, him standing on the stool next to me, once again peeing ALL over and just watching it, I once again snapped. Hollaring and spanking. :(

HOWEVER I thought I had turned it around by being so happy and giving hugs and kisses when he pee'd on the potty after daddy got home... I was so "happy" and gave positive attention etc... but then this am he was saying he didnt want to potty... so now we have a power struggle. :(

Im not sure what to do at this point... do I just ignore the accidents at this point, and just keep being positive, if he pottys hug and kiss, if its on the floor just clean it and calmly say "this goes in the potty"

Im pretty sure overreacting is causing a power struggle with my oh so stubborn son, so I dont think that punishing for potty on the floor is a good idea... but how do I NOT act like its bad to take a big giant crap on my floor??? *sigh*


Editing to add, he seems to be doing Ok now... he has gone in 3 times and pee'd... on his way in he is saying "dont pee on the floor, pee pee's go in the potty" and he is really happy to get a hug and kiss from me. So maybe changing to positive reinforcement will "fix" it.

No comments:

Post a Comment